Calling all blind Seniors:
If you want to impress your senior committee members for your Senior Project….this is the way to do it. Just create a PPT right before their eyes, with just a keyboard and talking software and any of the other myriad of great tech skills you use to access the world.
Completely blind yet notice the perfect touch typing skills- click on You Tube. She knows all the keystrokes to insert videos and pictures into a PowerPoint presentation and complete the perfect slide show
Take those scanned images saved as a PDF that are completely inaccessible and show a person how to write directly on them with text, save it and email to teacher for completed copy.
A great low vision trick with talking software: Geometry talking software Low vision incredible PDF/image trick
Complete simple to sophisticated math assignments in excel
How to touble shoot a braille display and find those drivers when it won’t connect correctly-Make sure you have the latest firmware update: http://tech.aph.org/rbd_info.htm Also, make sure that in your talking software setup you have no display selected before updating firmware
Steps: After update
You’ll need to install the usb and serial drivers if you’re using Windows in device manager
Installing USB drivers on Windows 7 and Windows 8: You can download the newest drivers on the APH website: this is the newest drivers as of April 2015 if you do not have a CD http://tech.aph.org/rbd_upd.
1. First, insert the CD that came with your Refreshabraille 18 into your CD Drive (or use link above). Then insert the included USB connector into the Refreshabraille 18 and your pc. Windows will attempt to automatically install the appropriate drivers but it will fail.
2. On Windows 7: press the Windows key to bring up search. Type in “device manager.” Select Device Manager from the list of found items. On Windows 8: press the Windows key and X to bring up a list of options, one of them being Device Manager, select that option.
3. Look for the Refreshabraille 18 under the heading “Other Devices” and hit enter.
4. Select the option to Update Drivers.
5. Windows will now present you with the options to let it search automatically for the drivers or for you to browse for the location manually. Select the option to find the location manually.
6. Now simply enter your CD drive information into the search bar. Typically this will something such as D:\. After entering this information, hit enter. Windows will now begin installing the driver software and a dialog box will pop up asking you whether you would like to install this device software. Select install.
You have now completed installation of the Refreshabraille 18’s USB drivers. You will now need to install the serial drivers.
Installing Serial Drivers:
1. First locate the Refreshabraille 18 under the heading “Other devices,” it will be called “USB Serial Port.” Select this item. Now repeat steps 4 through 6 from when you installed the USB drivers to complete installation.
2. Make note of what com port it has installed to, as you will need this information when getting some screen readers to recognize the Refreshabraille 18.
Watch on YouTube also: Setup Braille display on PC-trouble shooting it